Vai direttamente a:


An overview

Tourism is an important resource for the national economy, and the statistics presented illustrate our Country's capacity to attract and accommodate tourists in Italy that is characterised by a wealth, in terms of territorial variety and extension, of coastal and mountain areas, both in the Alps and the Apennines. In 2014 in Italy there were 158,412 units of accommodation establishments with over 4.8 million bed-places, with an increase in comparison to the previous year equal to respectively 0.6 and 2.6 percent. Hotels and similar establishments, on the other hand, amounted to approximately 33,290 units, showing a slight decreasing trend compared to 2013 (-0.1 percent) with 2.2 million bed-places (increasing by 0.3 percent); the number of other accommodation establishments was equal to 125,122 units (+0.7 percent compared to 2013) with 2.6 million bed-places (increasing by 4.6 percent).

Out of the entire range of tourist accommodation establishments operating in Italy, almost 106.5 million arrivals and nearly 378 million nights spent were recorded. The average length of stay in accommodation establishments was 3.55 nights, a lower figure compared to the previous year (-0.08 nights) with decreasing values both for residents in Italy (-0.10 nights) and residents abroad (-0.06 nights). This reduction is in line with the trend recorded since 2004 that showed a steadily decrease of the average length of stay (-0.48 nights).

In 2014 trips with at least one overnight stay made by Italian residents in Italy and abroad for business or holiday purposes reached 50,155,000 (-14.7 percent compared to 2013), with total 261,849,000 nights. 87.5 percent of these were made for holiday and the remaining 12.5 percent for business. In terms of overnight stays, 94.2 percent of the nights spent in accommodation establishments were for holidays and 5.8 percent for business trips. The average length of stay in Italy was 5.6 nights and 2.4 nights for holiday and business trips, respectively.